1.03.2012

Goals vs. Resolutions

I have noticed a trend lately regarding New Years resolutions.  People just don't make them anymore...instead they make goals.  I like this.  Often, we make these resolutions, stick with them for the first month or two...maybe even three...then we slowly taper off until these resolutions are a thing of the past and we haven't truly accomplished anything.  Resolution has a certain...well...resolute feeling to it.  A goal has a more long term, achievement type feel to it.  Did that make any sense?  A popular resolution is to lose weight.  Many jump into this resolution by working out and dieting.  They quickly burn out and then give up entirely.  So rather than resolving to lose weight, your goal could be to start living a healthy lifestyle.  See, the resolution has this "must do now or fail" feel to it but the goal has a "long term, move toward it gradually" kind of feel to it.  So, all that rambling to say we have made some goals, both personal and for our family, this year.  We are still working on the family goals so I will blog about that later.  Without further ado, here are my personal goals for 2012:

Consistency!!!  This is a huge one for me and goes for all areas in my life...my relationship with the Lord, with my husband and with my children, homeschooling, house keeping, eating healthy, exercising.  I tend to dive into something with closed eyes and outstretched arms, only to quickly fall flat on my face.  So, with the strength of my Heavenly Father I plan to slow down and be consistent and steady in all I do.
Another goal is to enjoy this little slice of paradise in the pacific.  When we first moved to Hawaii I was very excited.  It didn't take long for that excitement to dwindle and for me to feel like I was stranded on a deserted island.  I almost felt claustrophobic.  I spent 2011 brooding.  NOT ANYMORE!  The Lord does not make mistakes.  He has sent us to this island for a reason.  We have a wonderful church that we are already serving in and I plan to serve even more this year!  The Lord has blessed us with two more children we will be bringing home to this beautiful island sometime this year.  In less than two weeks we will be moving to a brand new house that will accommodate all 8 of us nicely.  The Lord is certainly blessing our time here in Hawaii and I plan to get out and enjoy His beautiful creation, making the most of our short time here.
Last, but certainly not least, I plan to keep up on this blog.  I would like to develop a schedule of sorts to help me post 3 or 4 times a week.  More on that later. :)
So, if you are still reading this...sorry so long...I would appreciate your prayers as I work towards these goals.  Feel free to comment about your goals and I would love to pray for you as well.  Consistency in my prayer life!!!
Happy 2012 to all.  It's going to be a great year in the LORD!!!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to learn about Ghana! Got any blog post ideas to help me learn?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So super happy you posted this new post!!!Always praying for you and your family! if you could ptay for our family it would be for us to make a smart but awesome life changing move and for ME as to being more slow to speak!!

    ReplyDelete